Bellingen Poets in Nimbin 2010

Bellingen Poets in Nimbin 2010
Taking Home The World Cup!!!

Thursday, May 20, 2010

To Marti Guy (aka Marianna)

© Copyright Pip Wilson, March 27, 2009

Forgive my stumbling doggerel;
I’m just a scribbler, after all.
My throat is sore and I want to read bugger-all.
I just wanna
Propose a toast to Marianna.

O, raise a toast to Marti Guy, my pals,
Who’s giv’n her heart to arty guys, and gals,
And ever was a hearty guy, was Marti Guy.
I’m just another arty-farty guy,
And though I’m not a party guy,
And though I read here, albeit shy,
This Marti Guy,
This very smart and hearty Marti Guy,
Has helped my tongue-tie to untie.

And Marti’s poached eggs on toast were the most –
Another reason I propose to our hostess with the mostest, a toast.

To Marti’s café I bid goodbye,
As all our fellows in Bello bellow at the farewell – O,
We all wish that mellow Marianna
Will hold each Poet Lorikeet and Poet Goanna
Of this blessèd green and pleasant valley,
From up to Dorrigo down to Raleigh,
In her kind hand and generous heart,
Befriending other artists in the alley for their art.
And for poetry’s sake
And for Marti’s sake
May we all still rally.
I’ll shut up now, not shilly shally, nor dally.

O, raise your glass for this sweet lass,
And may she know, this hearty guy,
This estimable Marti Guy,
She is, and always will be … aye,
The Lily of our Valley.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome and unmoderated. Please keep them kind and constructive. Thank you.