Bellingen Poets in Nimbin 2010

Bellingen Poets in Nimbin 2010
Taking Home The World Cup!!!

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Judges versus People

Controversy continues as the dust settles in the aftermath of the 2010 World Performance Poetry Cup.

People's Choice winner, me, takes umbrage at co-winner Elizabeth Routledge's so-called freudian slip that my award was 'bought'.

I can tell you, and Ruth will testify, that I went to Nimbin broke.

I couldn't buy anything other than the goodwill of the audience and a couple of schooners before my performance in the heats.

Sure, I have friends in Nimbin who came along and the Bello crew was there and Ruth may have thrown in some extra votes (although she denies this).

I wouldn't ask anyone to vote for me, unless they like my poetry.

The People's Choice award could be open to abuse, but I have it, I love it, and fuck the judges (apart from those who chose Elizabeth). Those who elimanated Brian deserve to be jettisoned.

OK, OK, I'm biased and judging, as we know, is something to be avoided and who would want to do it?

I love all the Bellingen poets, but Brian sang in the semi in a way that made the audience soar. They laughed and they cried and they were with him every step of the way in a consummate performance. As evidence, if you need any, a past winner of the cup, Lanky Len, turned to Brian with open arms when it was announced that he hadn't made the final and said, 'I am so sorry'.

We were all sorry, disappointed, gutted that the bloke I consider among the best living poets I know, was cruelly culled from the final.

That's the way it goes in competitive cups with judges.

Which brings us back to the people's choice. What more can I say?

 Well done Bello.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome and unmoderated. Please keep them kind and constructive. Thank you.